When the cold weather hits, it‘s important to take steps to protect your home from the elements. Here are 10 expert tips to keep your home safe from cold winter weather from your friends at Secure Construction:
1. Inspect your home’s exterior for any cracks or gaps that need to be sealed. These can let in cold air and moisture, which can lead to problems like mold and mildew.
2. Make sure your gutters are clean and free of debris. Clogged gutters can cause water to back up and freeze, which can damage your gutters and even your roof.
3. Check your roof for any damage or missing shingles. These need to be repaired or replaced to prevent leaks.
4. Inspect your windows and doors to make sure they are properly sealed. If you feel any drafts, add weatherstripping or caulking to fill the gaps.
5. Have your furnace serviced to make sure it’s in good working order. This will keep your home warm and comfortable all winter long.
6. If you have a fireplace, make sure the chimney is clear of any debris. This can prevent dangerous fires.
7. Keep your home’s interior clean and free of clutter. This will help prevent dust and dirt from buildup, which can be a health hazard.
8. Place rugs or mats at all entryways to help prevent dirt and moisture from being tracked into your home.
9. Add insulation to your attic and crawl spaces to keep your home warm and to reduce your energy bills.
10. Last but not least, when you are ready, call Secure Construction for a free consultation. We can help you make any necessary repairs or improvements to keep your home in tip-top shape all winter long.